I have 4 cats and 3 dogs and one new baby. I also work for a cat rescue organization and unfortunately came into contact with a kitten who had ringworm.
Despite my precautions, I must have brought it home because now two of my cats have come down with it. I do not want the rest of my pets and especially my new baby to get it.
Everyone has told me the only thing that really kills ringworm spores is bleach. Although I try very hard to make my home as toxin-free as possible, a few days ago I scrubbed down the whole house with bleach and water solution (1 oz bleach to 25 oz water). Now I remember why I have always hated bleach!
Despite diluting it, my whole house reeks of it (even after 3 days!)! And the horrible thing is that even though I have the cats quarantined, I feel like I need to keep using it to clean my shoes, hands, and other such objects after I go in to care for them everyday. Even though I wear a change of clothes and latex gloves, their hair gets on me and I feel like I am just covered in ringworm spores and since my baby is home with me, I feel I need to be extra clean before I even touch her!
After doing some research, I read that grapefruit seed extract is supposed to be good at killing ringworm, but then I read somewhere else that it actually didn't do anything.
Do you know of anything nontoxic or at least less toxic that will actually kill the ringworm fungus and spores? I could potentially have to be scrubbing down my house every week for months and I do not want to have to keep using bleach.
I have also been told that Chlorhexidine scrub will kill it. I have used that to scrub surgery instruments before and it definitely has a much less offensive odor but I don't know if it is really any less toxic or perhaps even more so. Do you know?
Finally, I have been washing my hands in a diluted bleach mixture. But I breastfeed my baby and I am worried about whether my skin could absorb this and I could be harming my baby by passing these toxins on to her
Please tell me what you think!! Thank you for your help!!
The most extensive nontoxic Q&A on the entire web. Debra and her readers have given over 12,000 answers to more than 3000 questions on living without toxic chemicals. We encourage you to participate as well. Read more...