I first made this in 2008 when I was living in San Francisco. Now that I live in Florida, February is the start of our strawberry season, so this is a good time for me to enjoy this for breakfast.
It would also make a great Valentine’s breakfast, as you can easily trim the strawberry slices around the top into a heart shape.
If strawberries are out of season, you can melt frozen strawberries and mash them into a little sauce for the top, but fresh is best.
Though vanilla in eggs sounds odd, it’s absolutely lovely and transforms the eggs into something special.
- 4 organic eggs
- ½ teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- natural sweetener to taste (just a little)
- 2 tablespoons organic grass-fed butter
- Fresh Ricotta Cheese
- organic strawberries
- Beat the eggs with the vanilla extract, and sweetener and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and add the egg mixture. Cook for three or four minutes (until the top gets puffy and the bottom firms up), then flip it (cover the skillet with a lid, flip the entire skillet while pressing the lid against it so the frittata comes to rest on the lid, and then slide the upended frittata back into the skillet). Cook a few minutes more.
- Plate the eggs and top with ricotta and strawberries. If you want to add a sprinkle of organic powdered sugar or a drizzle of honey, that’s fine. But I’m happy with this dish as is.