The other day I was talking with a guest on Toxic Free Talk Radio, who builds healthy houses. We were discussing the importance of having a whole house water filter. We agreed that every house should have one, just as every house has a refrigerator. It should just be standard equipment.
That prompted me to call Igor at Pure Effect Advanced Water Filters, who also was recently on Toxic Free Talk Radio. I’ve been looking at his whole house filters because the cartridge is all worn out on my whole house filter, and it would cost more than twice the price of Igor’s whole house filter just to buy a new cartridge for mine. It just makes sense for me to buy a new whole house filter with affordable cartridges. Especially since the PureEffect Whole House Water Filter/Revitalizer removes pollants even better than my old whole house filter ever did.
Why Do You Need a Whole House Filter?
Because we are exposed to more water pollutants than just those we drink or use in cooking. According to a study done by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Quality Engineering, published in the American Journal of Public Health, 29 to 46 percent of water pollutant exposure occurs through the skin in children, and 50 to 70 percent in adults!
For a normal adult, taking a fifteen-minute bath can be equal to drinking a quart of the same watec a fifty-pound child can absorb up to ten times as much contamination from swimnling in a pool for an hour as drinking a quart of water. This is not surprising, considering that skin is the largest organ of the body.
Only about 20 to 50 percent of chemicals ingested are actually taken into the body. depending on what and when you have eaten. But with skin absorption, virtually 100% of the contaminants go directly into the bloodstream.
And not all body parts are the same in terms of skin absorption rates. One EPA scientist said, “A shower cubicle can be considered an ‘exposure chamber.’ Exposure to volatile contaminants absorbed via the lungs could be about double the same amount from drinking water. In the bath, underarms, scrotal and vaginal areas as well as the groin absorb far greater amounts than in the normal unwashed forearm test.”
WATER POLLUTION ABSORPTION RATES THROUGH THE SKIN
IN VARIOUS LOCATIONS OF THE BODY
|BODY PART||PERCENTAGE ABSORBED|
|palm of hand||12%|
|sole of foot||13%|
Source: ‘Is Your Bathtub a Toxic Dump?’ Earth Island Journal, June 5, 2001
In addition, we breathe the fumes of certain pollutants released from running water. The EPA has now identified chloroform released from hot, running shower water as a major indoor air pollutant–so there’s a hazard in breathing water in the form of steam, too.
See why you need a whole house filter?
Yes, you could get a little shower filter that attaches to your showerhead, but no shower filter will remove the broad spectrum of pollutants found in today’s tap water. This is because the small size of these filters prohibits sufficient contact time and amount of media to filter the necessary range of chemicals.
And what about filling a bath, brushing your teeth, doing dishes (chemical gases released into kitchen air), washing your clothes, or watering your organic garden? This water will remain unfiltered without a whole house filter system.
The EPA has identified more than 700 pollutants that occur regularly in drinking water, both from municipal sources and from water taken directly from the earth through wells or springs. At least 22 are known to cause cancer; it is not known exactly how many pollutants are carcinogenic, since not all have been tested.
The good news is that my favorite water filter is also available as a whole house filter.
The Most Advanced Whole House Water Filter I Know Of
Here’s a photo of the new PureEffect Whole House Water Filter/Revitalizer. Scroll down to see the pollutants removed by each cartridge. It’s being made only in limited quantities every month, so to get one, you need to pre-order and get on the waiting list. The next shipment is expected around May 10. First come, first served.
You can also buy this whole house filter for well water, which is configured to remove radon, iron, hydrogen sulfide, alpha emitters, herbicides and pesticides, and hydraulic fracking byproducts.
Do You Need a Drinking Water Filter Too?
While the whole house filter removes pollutants exceptionally well, it is placed at the point where your water enters your home. After that, water will still pass through and sit in the plumbing of your home, which can contain metal ions and buildup. For the cleanest drinking water, it is recommended to have an additional drinking water filter right at your kitchen sink.
The drinking water filter has the newest industry innovation from PureEffect: their DualCarb-Superblock 0.5 Micron Catalytic Activated Carbon cartridge, which comes standard with every drinking water unit.
Here’s why this may be the most advanced carbon filter yet.
1. Up-to 15X More Chemical Decomposition Power: Unlike most carbon blocks on the market which use only one type of regular activated carbon, PureEffect’s DualCarb-Superblock features two types of Premium Grade Catalytic Activated Carbon, compression molded into one block. This results in about 15 time more chemical decomposition power than regular activated carbons. The term “Catalytic” means that the surface of the carbon has been specially modified to react with hard to remove chemicals like chloramine, hydrogen sulfide and others to speed up their molecular decomposition on contact. Regular activated carbon cannot do this, and is not adequate to remove the complex and persistent contaminants we face today.
2. Super Wide Range of Chemical Absorption: By combining two different types of catalytic carbons they achieved an unparalleled diversity of pore sizes, which now includes micro, macro and meso pore sizes within the carbon block structure. The various pore sizes capture a much wider range of chemical molecules than ever before. It also absorbed at least 50% more chloramine than their previous cartridge.
3. Built-in Natural Bacterial Protection: Most carbon blocks on the market do not offer anything to discourage bacterial overgrowth inside the carbon structure, or the ones that do use silver, which we think isn’t the best option, since silver must be listed as a pesticide with the EPA. Instead, they have impregnated the carbon with the proven, safe, natural, NSF Certified and Patented KDF55 media. This safely discourages bacterial growth throughout the cartridge, maintaining superior performance and preventing fouling issues that commonly occurs with low-end carbon blocks.
4. Superior 0.5 micron Micro-Sediment & Microbial Cyst Removal: Because we compressed this block into a very fine 0.5 micron density, it can capture microbial cysts that survive disinfection, e.g. Giardia & Cryptosporidium and extremely fine sediment, many times smaller than beach sand. Further, such a compression allows for more thorough overall filtration, since the water has to make it’s way through a much denser material than say a 5 micron carbon block.
5. High-Quality, yet Reasonably Priced: PureEffect doesn’t compromise on quality, and only sources their carbon from the best suppliers, never from China or other questionable sources. All the cartridges are freshly manufactured in the USA, are BPA and Phthalate-Free.
Don’t Have A Water Filter Yet? Get This One
As a consumer advocate and author of seven books on safe, nontoxic products, I’ve been researching, using, and writing about water filters since 1982. I’ve looked at a lot of different filters during that period of time and understand how to evaluate water filters for effectiveness.
I installed the Ultra-UC Water Filter/Revitalizer made by PureEffect Advanced Filtration in December 2012. It caught my attention because it removes a wide variety of pollutants (some of which are not removed by most filters) at an affordable price.
This is truly a water filter for every household.
Water Pollutants Removed
To the best of my knowledge the Ultra-UC Water Filter/Revitalizer is the only All-In-One system of it’s kind that removes:
1. Radioisotopes that get into our water from Leaking Nuclear Plants, Fukushima Fallout, and Uranium/Plutonium Mining (this is the only filter I’ve ever seen that removes radioactive particles)
2. Drug Residues that are not required by law to be removed at water treatment plants (again, this is the only filter I’ve seen to remove drug residues).
3. Fluoride using an all-natural alumina-free activated carbon bonded with calcium, shown to be 20% more effective at removing fluoride than the commonly used activated alumina.
4. Disinfection Chemical Additives including both Chloramines and Chlorine.
5. Disinfection Chemical By-Products such as Trihalomethanes (one of which is Chloroform).
6. Heavy Metals including Lead, Aluminum, Mercury, Barium, Iron & Other Positively Charged metal ions.
7. VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds) such as benzene, xylene and other solvents that are byproducts of the petroleum industry.
8. Agricultural Contaminants such as pesticides, herbicides and insecticides
9. Microbial Cysts including Giardia & Cryptosporidum, which survive disinfection.
10. Sediment down to ultra-fine size of 0.5 Micron (approximately 50x smaller than a grain of beach sand)
Filter Cartridges & Independent Water Test
The Ultra-UC Water Filter/Revitalizer is made up of three filter cartridges (click on the links to see what they contain and what they remove)
|ANTIRAD-PlusTMAnti Radiation cartridge||FluorSorbTM(Alumina-Free) Fluoride Reduction||SuperBlockTM 0.5 MicronDual-Catalytic Activated Carbon Block|
* Raises Alkaline pH naturally. In nature, water is naturally balanced between 6.5- 9.0 pH (pH stands for the Potential of Hydrogen, which is a measure of how acidic or alkaline something is). Using nature as their guide, the manufacturer saw that rain water makes it’s way down to the ground, then is filtered through the earth and over riverbeds, where it picks up it’s mineral/electrolyte ions and becomes naturally balanced. Taking this process into consideration, they developed their filter systems to pattern this effect naturally.
* Improves water’s antioxidant potential by approximately 25%. This water has the potential to “give” electrons (subatomic negative charges) to protons (subatomic positive charges) it comes in contact with. When these electrons bond to the protons–also known as free-radicals or oxidants–these oxidants can then be reduced and neutralized.
* Quality Components made to last. I was very impressed with the high quality of materials, even the little lever on the auxilary faucet moves with exceptional smoothness when I move it to retrieve the water. No part of this filter is made in China. All filtration cartridges are Made in USA. Comes with a 2-Year Hassle-Free Warranty and personalized customer care and service.
* Requires no electricity (works only on water pressure).
* Uses advanced Flow Regulation Technology. This ensures water does not pass through the system too quickly, and has sufficient contact time with filtration media, allowing optimal contaminant filtration.
* Uses high-quality nontoxic materials. BPA-Free and Phthalate-Free plastic, lead-free metal components and highest grade filtration media.
Better Than Bottled Water
Having my own filter in my home gives me the cleanest water possible on-demand, and saves a significant amount of time, effort and money by
eliminating the need for purchasing and carrying bottled water from the store. After a few months of bottled water savings, the unit pays for itself.
In addition, water bottles have been known to leach BPA, phthalates and other petroleum-based chemicals that are known to have harmful health effects.
This filter is made by a small family-owned water filteration business based in the USA, focused on designing, testing and innovating reasonably priced, yet high-quality drinking water filtration/revitalization systems, both point-of-use and whole-house.
“We create filtration systems that are simple, elegant, and extremely effective at reducing the widest possible range of common contaminants. Our PureEffect Water Filter Systems protect your drinking water and help restore it back to it’s ‘naturally pure’ state, and by that we do not mean laboratory sterilized H2O stripped of everything but the water molecules, instead, our filters can make the water that enters your body ‘whole’ and ‘nutritious’ again.”
Their filters are specifically designed to remove toxic substances while leaving essential alkalinizing minerals, electrolytes and negative electrochemical “charges” that neutralize positively-charged free radicals found in toxic tap water.
“We truly love what we do, and build water filter systems which you and your loved ones can enjoy for many years to come.”
Your Body Needs Clean Water
Water is essential to life. Our bodies cannot live more than three to five days without a replenishment of water because water is constantly evaporating from our bodies. Our bodies are 50 to 70 perent water, depending on age. So we need a steady supply of clean and balanced water available.
Tap water is full of contaminants. All tap water contains at the very least disinfectants that kill micro-organisms both in the water and in your body. Tap water wipes out virtually all the beneficial bacteria that aid in digestion, for example.
In order to function, every organ and cell in our bodies need water.
I drink three to four quarts of pure water every day to keep my body hydrated. I keep a water bottle on my desk at all times and sip from it as I work. It’s just a basic of building good health.
In the past, water filters that remove pollutants as well as the Ultra-UC Water Filter/Revitalizer have been very expensive.
This is the first filter I’ve seen that removes such a broad spectrum of pollutants, restores water’s natural pH, isn’t made in China, and is affordable for most households. And if you move, you can bring it with you.
Clean drinking water for everyone.
Click here for more information and to order
|Listen to my interview with Igor Milevskiy, Founder of Pure Effect Advanced Water Filters, a small, family-owned company that makes exceptional water filters which remove fluoride, radiation, and pharmaceuticals as well as chlorine, chloramine, lead, and other common pollutants…at an affordable price. We’ll be talking about pollutants in your tap water, how they can affect your health, and how to choose a water filter that will remove them. Even if you have a water filter, it may not be removing water pollutants as effectively as you think. Also find out how you can pay for your filter by selling these exceptional filters to others (and there’s no fee to join).|